Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Neither Snow, Rain, Nor Treacherous Ice

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." That is the unofficial motto of U.S Post Men and is an inscription on the James Farley Post Office in New York City. The courageous words are derived from from Herodotus' Histories (8.98) as he referred to the ancient courier service of the Persian Empire.

Just last week, I thought about the job of a mailman. The position used to be held in high regard. It was a romantic, daring job. And now, no one even thinks about the men and women dedicated to brave the elements in order to bring small parcels of hope to the awaiting American people.
What would we do without letters? I think about my school friend in Ireland. We will write letters that are to be sent across the globe.
What about letters of encouragement, coupons and shopping adds? What about bank statements and bills? I do think I could do forever without getting another bill, but not if it meant my mailman sacrificing his enduring service.
Not if it meant I might never get another letter.
Well ...
:)
I felt like a postman this morning. Employees have to be dedicated. They need to be ready and willing to face incredible odds so that arrival at work can be prompt. I want my boss to be able to count on me.

I have never called in sick to work. I always come in only to have my boss send me home.
And Weather has not kept me from the bank yet.
Not even the ice storm we had last night.
It went something like this...
"Are you sure you have to go to work in the morning, Ellen?"
"Dad, I am sure. I need to get up around 6. Check the weather. And start out pretty early so that I can get to the bank on time."
"I don't want you driving if its icy." Dad warned.
"I know, Dad. But if I'm going to be CSM, I need to show up."

I went to sleep pretty early so that I would be ready to get up and get the car road-ready.

But, instead of having to brave the cold and freeze my innards, Dad entered my room and hold me not to worry. He would drive me in to work if I really needed to go. :)
I love my, Daddy.

Thus, the drive to work was incredibly adventurous. We were stuck for about 15 minutes on a small hill. My dad's pickup truck attempted valiantly to get over the crest, and finally succeeded. I thought we were going to be stuck forever!
My Boss was so pleased that I got to work on time. Nay, I got to work 20 minutes early.

I try to be a really good employee. I gave my Dad a big kiss for getting me here.
Maybe I am not the mailman after all. I think my dad needs that credit. :)

Meanwhile, I can tell that this day is going to be quite long and ... slow. :) We haven't had a single customer yet. But just in case, we are available and eager to assist their financial needs!

We all took down bets about how many customers we will have.. I think we will either have 2 customers before noon or NONE.
P.S. The empty banking center is going to put a damper on achieving our checking account goal. Where are we going to find the people!? :0

No comments: